Top Tip #11 - Paper Piecing & 'Layer upon Layer' Challenge

Hello everyone!!

What another great week we had last week...and so now onto our new tip and challenge!!  This weeks challenge is:

Layer on Layer
Use more than 1 layer of card/DP papers on your creation 
(doesn't have to be paper piecing)

Now onto the tip!!
-----------------------

Welcome to this week's Top Tip Tuesday Challenge, I'm Anne (aka Stargroves) and I'm going to show you how I paper piece digi images, which is one of my favourite techniques to make a fun card that needs little or no colouring in.  I've used a fab image from Softpencil, who are one of the generous sponsors for this week's challenge.

Of course the great thing with digis is that they can be printed any size, so the first thing to do is to take some cheap and cheerful copy paper and print your image out until you're happy with the size.  Do you want it to fit a Nestie?  Is it big enough to cut out parts of the design?  You can print over and over, no need to keep using new sheets of paper!  When you're happy with it, copy and paste it several times so that you can print onto all your papers you want to paper piece.  I've used Word to insert my pictures and resize.  You can see an upside down image from when I was checking that I got the size right!
Now you need some kind of temporary glue to stick down your DP while you're printing, a glue stick works fine but if you have any spray adhesive I find it ideal and I had some in my craft room anyway.  This is great for things like printing onto heavyweight card such as watercolour; I find that if the sheet of copy paper starts feeding through my printer then it will happily take heavier stuff once it has started on the thin stuff!
I want my background to be a patterned paper too, so I've cut a large piece of background.  Then there are smaller scraps for the dog, the kennel and roof. 

  The scraps are large enough to cover each element you want to paper piece with a generous safety margin around them, use your temporary glue to stick them down to the copy paper.  Remember you're going to want to peel them off when they are printed, they don't need too much adhesive:).

Here they are ready to go through the printer...












and this is what they look like now they are printed out:  Some of the printing has gone over the edge of the orange piece, but I only want to cut the dog from it, so this is fine!









When you cut out your shapes, think about the order you will stick them down in and leave a little margin around them where they are overlapped by another piece, this helps avoid tiny gaps that could look odd.



 
 Here all the pieces are cut out and ready to glue down.







 
This is my finished paper pieced image, ready to be used for a card.  I hope you've found some helpful tips in this tutorial and that you'll give it a go:).  
Anne
x
 ---------------------------

 What a fanastic tip hey?  We have fantastic sponsors this weeks:

Prize 1

Who are offering one lucky winner a $10 voucher to spend in the shop!

"Hello everyone! my name is Elizabeth Pujalka and I´m the illustrator and designer behind Softpencil Digital Stamps, home of Michu and his lovely friends, where you can find cute illustrations for your crafting needs.  My illustrations are a homage to the Nature and their creatures, where a sweet child, a simple flower or a fragile animal become protagonists.  I invite you to know my whimsical world plenty of gorgeous characters and to enjoy creating with them!"

Prize 2

Sunshine & Giggles is offering our lucky Featured Tipper 3 digi images of their choice!!

My name is Janice Hopper, owner of Sunshine and Giggles Stamps.  I started Sunshine & Giggles one year ago offering images of kids just being kids, from all walks of life.  We are now expanding the line to offer cute little animals as well.  All images are delivered directly into your in box in ZIP JPEG format. No wait time!  The beauty of digital is you can resize to your liking.  This weeks winner will get to select 3 images of their choosing.

Featured Tipper Prize
  
Daisys Digi Doodles is offering one lucky winner a Surprise prize!!

Hiya, my name is Julie, I'm also known as Jules, Jue, MIss DAisy, Hey you...depending on who I am speaking to, LOL!  I have been married to the love of my life for 21 years, we have 1 son and a cat.  I have drawn off and on since I was small, my mum was always doing craft related things, I must take after her.  I have been making digi's for just under a year now, and I love it!  I have tried loads of crafts, modelling (not that sort...I wish :o)), cross stitich embroidery, painting, glass painting...etc.  I have dabbled with cards, but the whole house became my craft room so I stick with the computer now, so much tidier!  I leave the cards to the experts now, LOL!  It gives me so much pleasure to see the cards made using my images.  I am always awestruck by how much talent there is out there.  I also love reading and watching footie :o)

----------------------------
 Inspiration from Design Team One

Maggie

x Leigh x


Dawn
My paper pieced and decoupaged project- wooden purse


Carol
Paper Pieced Daffodil Card

----------------------------

Remember, on the new look Top Tip Tuesday blog, all you have to do to win a prize is:
  1. Create something using the theme of the challenge
    OR
  2. leave a tip (using the comment section)
    OR
  3. do both!!

    You can enter as many times as you like -  just as long as its a new creation - any back dating creations will be removed.

    You must also do a link to Top Tip Tuesday on your creation post.
Only someone leaving a tip can win the featured tipper prize - you can leave your tip via the comment section of the post.

Thanks for stopping by and we can't wait to see your fabulous creations!!!
The Top Tip Tuesday Team
xxxxx