Tomato Jam - India Here We Come



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...As you read this, I'll be on the first leg of a journey that will take me to India, Nepal and Tibet, and as you might suspect, I am euphoric. Because I travel lightly and will be gone for such a long time, I've pre-scheduled new posts for each day that I'm away. Think of them as a bribe to keep you returning to my table. Preparation of the thirty odd recipes I'll be featuring has kept me very busy and I've been a poor correspondent for the last week or so. I hope you understand and forgive my radio silence. While I'm not traveling with a computer, I'll have about 30 minutes each morning when I'll have one at my disposal, so I'll at least be able to read your comments and, hopefully, reply to a few of them. I can't promise much more than that. I can promise regular visits once I'm home. Right now, I'm much like a child on Christmas Eve. Despite miles already traveled and place already seen, I find it difficult to curb my enthusiasm at the beginning of a journey. I'm not a blasé traveler and I approach each new adventure with an open heart and mind, and, the Silver Fox, cynic that he is, would add, an open wallet. I once knew a child who had a runaway imagination and even larger dreams. She was fascinated by the Himalayas and a place called Kathmandu, a spot she had found on the dogeared map she'd study for amusement. The strangeness of its name stayed with her and she knew she find and visit it someday. That day - her day - has come. Wish her Godspeed, please. Hugs and blessings...Mary




While getting the house ready for our departure, I came across several pounds of tomatoes that had to be used. I normally would have sent them down the hill to a neighbor, but that wouldn't work this time as that neighbor had sent them up the hill to me earlier in the week. I'm sure you get the picture. Fortunately, I'd been holding onto Mark Bittman's recipe for tomato jam and this was a perfect time to try it. There, literally, is nothing to this recipe and I found it make a wonderful condiment. I sent the tomatoes back down the hill in a jam jar. This may become our fruitcake thing. Here's the recipe.

Tomato Jam...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Mark Bittman


Ingredients:

1-1/2 pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Directions:
1) Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan, Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
2) Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week. Yield: About 1 pint.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
Peach Melba Jam - Bunky Cooks
Black Mission Fig Jam - Coconut and Lime
Freezer Berry Jam - Real Mom Kitchen
Brandied Fig Jam - Talk of Tomatoes
Texas Three Pepper Jam - SwEEts
Late Summer Plum Jam - Piece of Cake