Stovetop Barbecued Chicken "Ribs"



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Rained out? Counting pennies? Both? Have I got a deal for you! Several years ago, I was asked by a local ministry to work with a group of women on menu planning and the cooking of quick and inexpensive meals. I grudging said yes because the request was put to me in such a way I couldn't refuse. I suspect that many of you have found yourselves in a similar position and understand how it happens that smiling lips say yes, yes, while the brain that should be directing the whole show, is screaming no, no. As it turned out, the classes were a really pleasant experience and I learned as much as I taught. The challenge was to prepare a month of meals for a family of four, for about $75 a week. It wasn't easy, but working together we were able to fashion a month of meals that met the challenge. My personal goal was to come up with meals that weren't necessarily associated with cooking on the cheap. I hate to pander to people or rehash lessons that folks have already learned. I used a lot of chicken in my demonstrations, particularly chicken legs, which, then and now, could be had for pennies on the dollar. This is one of the recipes that I used. It makes a really nice meal and I think those of you who try it will enjoy it. At the time, we joked about the barbecued legs and called them poor man's spareribs. I'm also including links to some of the other recipes I used for the chicken demonstrations. In almost all cases, you can upgrade to chicken thighs or breasts if you prefer to use them. The recipes are all solid and I really think you'll like them.

Barbecued Chicken"Ribs"...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Janet Porterfield

Ingredients:
8 bone-in chicken thighs or legs
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup water
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water

Directions:
1) In a Dutch oven, brown chicken over medium heat in oil in batches on both sides; drain. Return all of the chicken to the pan.
2) In a large bowl, combine the water, brown sugar, soy sauce, apple juice, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and ginger; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°.
3) Remove chicken to a platter and keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.









Chicken Legs with Lemon and Rosemary













Chicken Mole














Moroccan Chicken









You might also enjoy these recipes:
Roasted Chicken Drumsticks - My Kitchen Skills
Barbecue and Hot Sauce Chicken Legs - What's Cookin' Italian Style Cuisine
Broiled Lemon Herb Chicken - Deep South Dish
Grilled Coriander Chicken Legs - Experiments of a Housewife
Feed a Crowd: Mustard Chicken Legs - Stacey Snacks