Watermelon Gazpacho



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I'm not a huge fan of chilled fruit soups. I enjoy gazpacho now and then, but it is not the type of dish I ever have a yen for. If it appears on the table that's fine, if it doesn't, that's fine too. I had a pleasant surprise this weekend. A watermelon gazpacho was one of the dishes we shared with friends at the potluck on Saturday. It was extraordinarily good and I was unprepared for how tasty it could be. While tomatoes and other vegetables had obviously been used in its preparation, the dominant flavor was a watermelon whose sweetness had been slightly tempered by the addition of vinegar and olive oil. It had amazing color that my photo only hints at. My soup, and almost all the others I found on the web, look red or orange in photographs. The soup is actually pink. In a completely pureed state, it would be a perfect starter for a bridal shower, especially if served in cocktail glasses. I prefer my gazpacho without chunks, so I kept the whole pieces of fruit to an absolute minimum. While sweet peppers and other vegetables can easily be added to the ingredient list, use an easy hand with them. It is important not to overwhelm the watermelon flavor that this soup is all about. Like all chilled soup, you''ll find this needs a generous measure of salt to season it. Here's the recipe I used to make the soup.

Watermelon Gazpacho...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
2 cups chopped ripe red tomatoes
1 small jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed, coarsely chopped
5 cups cubed fresh water melon, divided use
1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon minced red onion
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
2 tablespoons minced cilantro, plus more for garnish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions:
In a blender, puree tomatoes, chile, and 4 cups of watermelon. Pour in sherry wine vinegar and olive oil and pulse. Add onion, cucumber and cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Pour into chilled bowls and sprinkle with cilantro, feta, and remaining watermelon. Serve. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Strawberry Cake a la Martha Stewart













Two Years Ago Today: Blue Cheese Gourgeres






You might also enjoy these recipes:
Cool and Chunky Gazpacho - The Kosher Tomato
Recipe: Gazpacho for Warm Summer Days - My Healthy Eating Habits
Bloody Mary Gazpacho - Picture Perfect Meals
Mango Gazpacho - Delishhh
Creamy Gazpacho - The Baking Beauties