Shrimp and Corn with Fresh Basil



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I hope there are no secret rules or pledges associated with Meatless Monday. I'm going to proceed on the assumption that fish and shellfish are fair game for use by those participating in the challenge. I'll be working with shellfish today. I live in an area where frozen Alaskan shrimp are cheap and plentiful. While they're not suitable for all applications, the shrimp are perfect for budget family meals. Today's recipe takes all-American ingredients and uses a simple Asian stir-fry technique to make a wonderful family meal. This is a five ingredient recipe that actually works. Bob is always dubious about these really easy meals. I made this for his lunch today and got a high five for my efforts. While I used thawed, frozen corn to make the dish, it will be even better when fresh local corn can be used. I've adapted this recipe from one that appeared in Gourmet magazine a decade ago. I think those of you who try this, will love it. Here's the recipe that garnered me a "...this is really good!" Bon appétit.

Shrimp and Corn with Fresh Basil
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, adapted for Gourmet Magazine

Ingredients:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 cups sweet corn, thawed if frozen
1 pound shelled large shrimp
1 bunch green onions (white and tender green), chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat, then sauté or stir-fry corn and shrimp, stirring, until shrimp are cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in scallions and basil and season with salt and pepper. Yield: 4 servings.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
Camarones a la Mexicana - One Perfect Bite
Brined Shrimp with Jalapeno and Garlic - One Perfect Bite
Shrimp Omelet from the Pearl River Delta - One Perfect Bite

This post is being linked to:
Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory